Key Takeaways from the Small Operator Survey
CSNews surveyed single-store and small-chain convenience stores to find out what they were experiencing and thought about their operations and the outlook for the year. Here a few findings:
- 43 % of small operators say their sales and profits are trending better in 2021 than they were last year
- 22% said 2021 would be about the same as 2020
- A smaller percentage, 14%, said 2021 might turn out to be one of their best years
- 7% said they would either decrease their number of stores this year or sell them and exit the business
What worried c-store operators?
Finding good employees is cited as the biggest challenge by 82 percent of small operators. Other worries included:
- Insufficient attention from suppliers that favor larger chains or grocery stores
- Industry consolidation and competition
- Keeping up with emerging technologies
- Tobacco regulation from bans on menthol and other flavors
- Motor fuel margins
Find out more about trends in foodservice sales, fuel and more. View the summary or contact us for the full report.